A Diversion.
“I want excitement.”
We were escaping from work. Technically, we were still on the clock. We had been sent out to bring all the carts in. Loose carts in the parking lot in the middle of a snowstorm were not a risk the store was willing to take. Bringing in the carts was a way to escape Margaret’s eyes and a way to free ourselves from the wet linoleum and plastic bags.
Justin grabbed my arm.
“Come on, I want to show you something.”
He was younger than me by a year or so. He went to a different school and I had just broken up with M ike R. It was February, or maybe January. He was just the diversion that I was looking for.
“Come on.”
He led me to the back of the parking lot, underneath the last light. His car was parked there. A silver Monte Carlo. It was the year 2000, but the car was from 1987.
“Get in.”
I made a quick look to the entrance of the store and couldn’t see Margaret’s head peering over the window sill. She was always on the watch. And she was my Aunt. Great Aunt, technically. But “Aunt Margaret” always sounded better than “Great Aunt Margaret.” I don’t know if she was harder on me because I was family, or if she was just a bitch.
We were good.
I got in the passenger seat of his car. It was the cleanest interior I had ever seen. I felt guilty just sitting in it with my dirty shoes and work apron. But he didn’t say anything.
“You better buckle up.”
I did as instructed as he turned on the car and headed towards the side lot, away from the other vehicles and away from Margaret’s glances.
Next thing I knew we were spinning. And spinning. And I liked it.
I had always been so cautious, and here I was with a boy I hardly knew, in a car I had never been in before, doing donuts in a back lot of the store in the middle of a snowstorm. And I liked it.
We came close to hitting a pole, and I still didn’t care. I was dizzy, happy, and oblivious.
He skidded the car to a stop and looked me dead in the eyes.
“Do you want to give them something to really talk about?”
I said nothing as he leaned towards me. I said nothing as he placed his arms around me and began to kiss me, but I did remove my seat belt. This wasn’t the time for safety.
Yes, I had kissed other boys since Mike R. and I had broken up. And I liked it. But those kisses had drawn up emotions that I wasn’t ready for, and so I gladly kissed this boy back that I had no feelings for. It was fun; he was cute. He went to a different school and I didn’t care. This was all for excitement and a taste of something new.
I don’t know how long we were out there, but I knew it was long enough to get Margaret’s attention. We went back in, one at a time. And I acted like nothing had happened, because really it was nothing.
We were escaping from work. Technically, we were still on the clock. We had been sent out to bring all the carts in. Loose carts in the parking lot in the middle of a snowstorm were not a risk the store was willing to take. Bringing in the carts was a way to escape Margaret’s eyes and a way to free ourselves from the wet linoleum and plastic bags.
Justin grabbed my arm.
“Come on, I want to show you something.”
He was younger than me by a year or so. He went to a different school and I had just broken up with M ike R. It was February, or maybe January. He was just the diversion that I was looking for.
“Come on.”
He led me to the back of the parking lot, underneath the last light. His car was parked there. A silver Monte Carlo. It was the year 2000, but the car was from 1987.
“Get in.”
I made a quick look to the entrance of the store and couldn’t see Margaret’s head peering over the window sill. She was always on the watch. And she was my Aunt. Great Aunt, technically. But “Aunt Margaret” always sounded better than “Great Aunt Margaret.” I don’t know if she was harder on me because I was family, or if she was just a bitch.
We were good.
I got in the passenger seat of his car. It was the cleanest interior I had ever seen. I felt guilty just sitting in it with my dirty shoes and work apron. But he didn’t say anything.
“You better buckle up.”
I did as instructed as he turned on the car and headed towards the side lot, away from the other vehicles and away from Margaret’s glances.
Next thing I knew we were spinning. And spinning. And I liked it.
I had always been so cautious, and here I was with a boy I hardly knew, in a car I had never been in before, doing donuts in a back lot of the store in the middle of a snowstorm. And I liked it.
We came close to hitting a pole, and I still didn’t care. I was dizzy, happy, and oblivious.
He skidded the car to a stop and looked me dead in the eyes.
“Do you want to give them something to really talk about?”
I said nothing as he leaned towards me. I said nothing as he placed his arms around me and began to kiss me, but I did remove my seat belt. This wasn’t the time for safety.
Yes, I had kissed other boys since Mike R. and I had broken up. And I liked it. But those kisses had drawn up emotions that I wasn’t ready for, and so I gladly kissed this boy back that I had no feelings for. It was fun; he was cute. He went to a different school and I didn’t care. This was all for excitement and a taste of something new.
I don’t know how long we were out there, but I knew it was long enough to get Margaret’s attention. We went back in, one at a time. And I acted like nothing had happened, because really it was nothing.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home