August 20, 2008

Antigone and the First Kiss.

Today in my honors seminar we opened up a conversation on the Greek Tragedy of Antigone. Upon going over the details of the tale, I was instantly reminded off my first kiss.

We had just read Antigone in my Honors English class in highschool when I met Kevin in my art class. For some reason, I found the geeky upperclassmen to be intriguing. I would spend days trying not to look at him and to design killer things in class to amaze him with.

It came time for my english class to do a chessy project upon the culmination of Antigone. At the time, I was not involved in any sports so I would go home right after school. My Antigone group decided we would get together at one of our member's homes. It was decided that after school one day we would go to the library and then to his house.

Well, the day of the meeting came and we decided not to go to the library, but to simply meet at Tim's house to complete the project. This must have been a move of fate, for that very same day Kevin asked me if I wanted to come over to his house and watch a movie after school!

I never told my mother of the change of plan. This was a rare move for me, as I never lied to her. The next thing I knew I was in Kevin's car . . . which was exciting because I was at the time only 14 and had no friends who drove. Soon we were at his house, with no one else home.

We watched a movie. It was called 4 o'clock high or 3 o'clock high or something. We actually watched the whole movie, but at one point, I suddenly felt the lips of a boy upon mine! I did not know what to do, so I just stayed still. I think he sensed my anxiousness and ceased the lip work.

After the movie, he drove me to Tim's house where I met up with Tim, Jon, Betsy, and Megan. I was so flustered from my experience! I had brought a mix tape with me which featured my favorite bands at the time: The Clash, Jimi Hendrix, and Jefferson Airplane. These bands made me think of Kevin, and I swooned as we crafted our Antigone puppets out of barbie dolls. Our project consisted of making the barbies "act" . . . I believe we also used McDonald's toys and I portrayed Antigone as having the personality of a sassy black woman.

Days passed and it became friday. My friend Lindsay (who happened to be Kevin's ex . . .) was having a party. Kevin and I would both be attending! I remembered barely any of the party . . . all I remembered was letting go of my insecurities and making out the whole time.

Kevin and I never made out again. We called each other a few times, and once I walked after school (this was the BIG thing to do) to Hardees, where he worked, just to see him. This was done without my mother's permission and I ended up getting in trouble and was not allowed to attend that night's football game, which was HOMECOMING! This was the only game I missed that year.

I saw Kevin at the Homecoming Dance, but we did not dance.

Kevin and I grew distant over the next week.

I spent sunday after Homecoming waiting on his call while piling over all my old eight-tracks, but he never called. He started ignoring me in art class. I heard the "popular" girls talking about how he was hot so I got in their faces and said he "WAS MINE". . . but sadly, later that day a bitchy senior girl named Hope came up to me after art class and said Kevin didn't want me to be his girlfriend.

I was crushed, and he eventually ended up dating this pretty girl named Brook and then my friend Sarah. I spent the days after "the breakup" holed up in my room with my eight-track player and my John Lennon/Yoko Ono eight-track.

The lesson of this story? None really. Except that classic rock and art classes should not be the basis to a relationship. And that first kisses are hilarious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home